24 February 2009

Puck Might Make Much More Sense (rev)

puck

Hunch, the hen, whose vocab is constrained to the
extreme but very articulate expression ‘puck’, claims
she dreams of being a Shakespearian actor. 
What’s more she sees a role that’s tailor-made; not
Puck as you might opine but Nick Bottom with whom
she shares a belief she can discretely play all or any
actor’s part in A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

I don’t want to play the fool for her myself but I can’t
see a case where she could wear a donkey’s head with
the necessary conviction – let alone bear Titania’s fiery
love. I must say though that I like her spritely style and
agree that she should have a chance.

I decree she shall star as The Hunchback in Richard III
at the next Shakespearean festival. On second thoughts,

just being Puck might make much more sense...
© 26 April 2007, I.D. Carswell

For the record, sadly Hunch departed this realm 8 October 2008;
a short but eminently memorable Chicken Pen  Jester’s life...

light-sussex-hen

No comments:

Post a Comment