02 February 2009

Remember With Affection (rev)

lychee

They’ll always tell a story those
obscure mementos stacked on
dusty shelves demure and silent
like all other gaudy tributes tacked
to walls in floodlit halls and if you
could suppose their lusty origins
and still allow the glory
they impute you are in thrall

I recall that tiny pot
a plastic flower in pink and green
an orchid made by ‘Ponn’ whose
proper name I could not spell
or even get my tongue around
I still perceive her blinding spell
of Asian prettiness impressed
so neatly on an entity which
though I try I cannot see

So it is with treasured objects
stranded out of space and time
and kept in silent places with
our memories intact a focus
which brings back the feelings
warm and sweet so vibrantly
with baubles vested in largesse
to pay a tithe we will remember
with affection all our lives
© 3 September 2006, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment