30 May 2007

Silence As Magnanimous Respect

Lulu belle wrote a poem, it isn’t her
real name and she doesn’t exist
to the best of my knowledge. The
poem does however, and it attests

an inimitable collage of genius.
It has captured the colours of her
imaginings in a brief but loquacious
declaration of intense beauty;

four lines, just twenty five words
of it – a recondite library of learning.
It captured my heart in an instant,
demanded acknowledgment. But

when I came to praise a faux professor
of circumlocutory nonsense had razed
the image immaculate – leaving a
specious burst of wretched toadying.

Where he plodded with bucolic fervour
I was dissuaded from recording my
few words. How could I say ‘this is the
work of genius’ in his piddling wake?

Lulu belle, be praised by the words I was
afraid to leave at the foot of your beautiful
poem. It is not neglect, you’ve earned my
silence as magnanimous respect...
© 6 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment