25 August 2008

Let The Moment Pass (rev)



Formerly: I Cannot Let The Moment Pass

I cannot let the moment pass
without a weary greeting – or
retard the recent past where
shadows still are fleeting; I’d
sabotage the future just by
staring at a mirror – never let
a glimmer pass and try to hold
my image fast in healing my
dilemma.

Time is gliding in array, I sense
it move in subtle ways; tells me
I am locked in stride and shocked
and numb and riven dumb inside
the house I used to try with no
success to eulogise – and frankly
I am not surprised.
I’ve cast the very best of words
into a thankless void – listened
long and patiently to hear what
might be heard, garnered dust
and loneliness in chilling, cogent
quiet, a crystal quiet of purest form,
a chaste and potent curling worm
that nestles in my ageing heart.

I must have died and blown away,
my hopes are dust in disarray, of
dreamlike clouds, of coloured sands
that waft and spin in foetid strands
to spread across this lonely lea.

Where are the people we once knew
who talked with us as one, where are
the children growing up and playing
in the sun, where are the words we
shared before of sane and peaceful
unity? Have they all died and blown
away – disappeared like me?

© 2005, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment