19 February 2007

No-One Will Notice

I might have called this poem
‘Life in the recycle bin’ or
‘A parody on the writings
of every poet imaginable (plus
others not that well known)’
but history has shown
the irony would be wasted.

Besides, I have the good graces
to expect it will be read, for fair
reasons or sad, by fine poets and
bad, dabblers in verse, those who
are dedicated, a few dilettantes,
plus one or two fated to be the
next generation.

And I will take comfort in that.
In time some novice succubi
will earn an extraordinarily
average literary PhD by
analysing the triptych nature
of my writings – and do it badly,
but no-one will notice.

While life goes on in the recycle
bin, machine churning,
regurgitating themes as old as the
first written word; new and exciting
forms of plagiarism flourishing, while
bad poets and parvenus egregiously
please their comatose constituencies.
© I.D. Carswell 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment