29 May 2007

Age Of The Shorter Poem


It must be the trapdoor of age, the 
gap between short-term memory 
and the supposed sage-like qualities
we’re reputed to gain as one gets on 

in years.

I term it the curse of 'sagacious
brevity
', an affinity for shorter verse 

as an inverse of advancing age. Jesus, 
please, don’t let it happen 
to me!

When a thousand words was tame
writing less suggested a lack of wit.
Now it’s an effect of attention span,
say it in ten words
blessed if you
want to command an interest.

Understand I’m not making waves, or 
commenting out of the Kirk; I’d be a jerk 
to observe poets who’ve written 1000 or 
more poems are prone to fade way short 
in a dash to the line.

But the real reason I gauge (and opine)
is once you’ve reached that certain age 

you'll not remember what you wanted 
to say beyond one line
at a given time.
© 2 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment