25 May 2007

It Is A Sign Of Progress

It is a sign of progress I say, something benign
– but you sway with the view of crude reality;
an invasion of maggots to you is inseparable

from the grotesque spectre of rotting carcases
they feast upon. There is no peace for you while
they crawl on your clean, tiled floor. I discretely

pick them up to appease you with brush and pan,
gain fawning recognition from the chickens –
they say, hey man, what of the corpse?

I know not I confess, perhaps the last bout of
cleaning rendered it inedible and they abandoned
it or maybe it was exhausted by larva feeding on it.

Be glad they didn’t pupate I add, it is a good sign
when they migrate mindlessly, so eat well and be
merry. If there are more you will have the first claim.

– Maggots are crème de la crème to chickens, mana
from Heaven – and indeed it is a sign of progress
when we join as one at this unprecedented feast.
© 14 April 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment