23 December 2005

Please – Just Don’t Overeat

Can we take this apart dispassionately, he asked
sincerely, and recognise where we depart from the
striations of the narrow track? You have taken me
to task, made attack after attack, never mentioned
my name but the lack was no less a derogation.

My, my, I say, why this and why this now? You’ve sailed
within your safe haven forever and a day, never ventured
beyond the navigable constructs of your fantasies, played
to the perfect crowd on the riverbanks of your imaginings;
are you sure you’re not somehow imagining it, even now?

- Could I tell him it was not he whom I deride? His esteem
is not weighed in a settling of flies, a swarming of fleas, a
welter of heady well-wishers fawning to the hand of a great
giver of gustatory encouragement. Not in the least! He is
a feast, dine on him well, but please – just don’t overeat!
© 2007-02-16 I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment