10 June 2007

Hardly Sunshine On My Shoulder


Hardly sunshine on my shoulder, more
a craven field of cobbled pain, the cause
a ruptured axillary artery complaining.

You can hear it hurt; it capers in my face –
each sharp, indrawn breath reflects the
needles stabbed rudely into a candid

tenderness, each momentary lapse of
memory – where arm moves reflexively,
crudely brings me back.

Explosive hurts that flash a warning light,
bright and pointless; I know its causes
painfully identified by ultra sound

applied with blithe technical efficiency, the
entire range of flexion adroitly examined –
antipathetic to evidence it really hurt.

There is respite in dream-disturbed sleep but
what is that to do with poetry? Let me explain –
my right shoulder, I am right handed. Got it?

No? Well if my verse seems inflamed it is because
NSAID medication contains a dosage far too weak
to even colour tea, and so be it!
© 30 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment