03 June 2007

Puck Is Enough To Satisfy

Hunch expressed her thanks with
great respect, she shat; “Phuk,” she
said, what do you think of that?

You’re a natural comedian, a gem,
a potent free-liner with one-liners
to burn, I say, can I borrow it?

With due recognition, she replies,
use it, abuse it, but affix my name
to it. Was I surprised? Well – no;

I knew she’d been to Hen Finishing
School, and when her sister Stella
laid that dubious egg she claimed

was her own – knew then of her
aspirations. She was a mover and
shaker, a breaker of hearts,

a queen in the making. You’re not
taking the easy road to fame,
I remark. Listen up my man,

she cries, why would I want to be a
hen all my days – there’s more to
the pen than meets the eye for

sure but the audience here demands
no encores, just an occasional
“puck” is enough to satisfy.
© 14 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment