08 June 2007

Won’t Need To Wear Anonymity

The poem I never wrote waits
expectantly while I debate the
new Rugby rules, cogitating the
expediency of drinking voigner
too early in the afternoon.

Moments like these I demur good
form and allow leniency; it’s no
crime to be flippant, to let the
warm wash of feeling slosh in
the glass I sip from frequently.

My love eternal sees more in it
than me, tuned to frequencies I
cannot receive. She is double brie,
whipped cream, strawberries with
kirsch and the sound of the sea.

My admiration for her has saved
more lives than just mine, a scene
of good faith, an epiphany to match
the bloody sacrifices men make – and
it’s only taken 38 years to define.

These rules which will change empower
Referees and Flag Judges (note the new
name) to make the game a true spectacle –
such that they can lead normal lives and
won’t need to wear anonymity.
© 24 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment