05 June 2007

Write A Few Gaudy Words

It’s nice isn’t it – write a few gaudy words
on the hottest topic of the hour, use some
tried and true lines you’ve already trialled;
never leave home without ‘em! Wake up
to find a dozen or more pieces of trite neo-
adulation snuggled cosily at the foot of it
sporting names of ‘friends’ who agree.

Christ, there has to be more to poetic life
than preaching to the converted about a
theme-in-common, a nod and a wave in lieu
of conversation – I say old bean, what have
they done to the rules regarding posts; what
in the benign name of any tame god you’d
like to call your own are we embracing?

Can’t you wretched
Understand that
Nothing breeds this compliant
Timidity more than being
Frightened shitless by hitherto
Undisclosed consequences
Cleverly moralised as
Key issues of public decency.

Damn me to eternal perdition then,
let me smell like Hellfire, not of sulphur
or brimstone but the reek of burned flesh,
of fouled guts and shit as it really smells
fresh from the forge of traumatic death.
I don’t need to use those words banned
every day, but after this I bloody well might!
© 17 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment