09 June 2007

Your Dreams Will All Return


You will read this note and I concede
before you reach its morbid end that
tepid tears will sear within your eyes.

Tears of joy or sadness which may bring
a stark relief to ease frustration’s fears –
I know not where your sentiments ensue

save bearing errant truth in tears. I’d lend
to you the tissue of my very being 
which 
to dry your eyes with was it free to give,

a rag of old worn linen soaked in wayward
times & now devoid of dreams, crudely
wrung and freed of its frayed conscience.

There will be no brighter day than this upon
its certain ending, especially when your
tears have washed it clean of all pretence.

You knew that I would go away. No use in
being reverent. You’ll learn that when you’re
freed of me, in time, your dreams will all return...
© 28 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment