08 June 2007

Your Sleep Is Thus Secured

This gratitude expressed in unsullied
silence is the very best. Yes, I love the
way you creep about so softly when I
sleep; if you could train the dogs to
keep the peace – bark in muted tones
at very least or growl sub voce I’d be
pleased and much amazed:

– their view of charity is bones with
ample meat on which to loudly curse

– then I, I would indecently return the
favour twenty-fold. I’d be a mouse-like
guest until the sun has roared, labour
long ensuring your repose is undeterred.

And in the wash of breaking dawn
forget the peace – revel in the growing
light and birth of day, chorus in the birds’
delight at end of night, join their song.

I’d sing along effete and hopeless
to a cause I’ve never paid a penny for.

But in my mind I have ensured the door
is tightly closed and sound defused,
confidant your sleep is thus secured.
© 24 May 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment