06 July 2008

The Light Was Always You (rev)


In the beginning there was light,
abundant light that truly lit the way,
time was never lost in dodging flights
of feckless shadows, darkness seldom
ever blight the brightness of our day.

And when the shadows came at night
and stretched into a weary dawn, tangled
in the sleepers’ eyes, yawning in their
tousled hair, barely then we were aware.

That was when we dwelt in dismal shades
of grey, remembered flawless summers’ days
we left behind in broken time, dismembering
a quintessence of things that bound us
thence – held us tightly on our way.

Now we stumble in the dark, walk a sorely
riven path that’s strewn with rubbled past,
strive to find our perfect light, aghast a gloom
compounds our plight and treats us to affray;
could we find our flawless day within this
darkened room, or find the kindly light we
seek whilst stepping in each other’s way?

The bruises which we bear from crashes
in the night are sorely worn, we’re torn by
crazy flights of fantasy despite the anchors
of our past, deluged by vast illusions with
no caste or frame to give a name to;

I know it’s not a game and I despair at my
lost sight, I see a worldly light that glows
within the warmth of you, a light to guide
you true, a light to surely show you where to go;
and where you go is where I need to be
because I’m blind, did not construe,
the source of light was always you.
© 1 February 2004, I.D. Carswell

Without you I am blind….

No comments:

Post a Comment