16 December 2008

My Sisters Never Knew (rev)

my sisters never knew

There was a sibling who might have
preceded me into the World; I say ‘he’
as I had three sisters waiting in the wings
with growing impatience for a male
applicant to bind with fledgling love;
‘he’ as it is unthinkable our mother
may have conceived another girl.

I was told of the sad miscarriage when
I observed disparity in dates we celebrated
birthdays. The gap between my next sister
and I was our brother stillborn. It was a slow-
growing shock – I still mourn for my brother,
I still mourn for an ally and friend whom I
never knew, assured he would agree.

There was a sibling who’d have preceded
me and made the World a less perilous
place, a brother who’d have loved and
protected me but never was. And when I
dreamed of him, staunch and beautiful with
features hewn from the same living flesh,
he was me and my sisters never knew.
© 30 September 2006, I.D. Carswell

3 comments:

  1. And it comes full circle. This is such a sad story, but yet you have given it hope and beauty with your words.

    Hugs
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivan, Ivan, Ivan, (He was me, and my sisters never knew...)so much to be said in this one line here that tied it altogther. The gift that keeps on giving...this one poem here ties in so much of your other poetry. (One poem) usually never stands alone. They are the tree with many branches. I am fussy in whose poetry I choose to read that truly connects with my soul, and you Ivan are one of those poets.
    I understand the path your words travel, thanks for taking me along for the ride.

    Bessye (Visions)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bessye, I am flattered. Rest assured, you're welcome along for the ride, the journey isn't over yet

    ReplyDelete