04 December 2008

When You Aren’t Here (rev)

when you arent here

It had taken all day to
get to the front door,
and considerable effort
you are assured.

There was no incentive
to make a greater play at
being part of the day; when
I reached it I had nowhere
to go.

I had ideas, I’m never lost
for them, but there at the
doorway the choices didn’t
pretend to have relevance
or meaning.

You were away, a declaration
of fact – is that a state of being
or an expression? Anyway, you
weren’t here so it didn’t matter
where I went or what I might
have done. So I didn’t. Nothing
matters when you aren’t here.
© 2006, I.D. Carswell

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ivan,
    You are indeed a wonderful artist! I really enjoy your poetry. Keep up the good work.
    I also enjoy that you are "Real" not just a blogger who doesn't see "outside" "their" own "Box".
    Hope that you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Bessye (Visions)

    ReplyDelete