28 July 2009

Waking One Gently (rev)

AfternoonNap_Millner

My friend calls them ‘pensioners’ naps’,
these easy midday siestas I indulge in now
and then – he claims they are necessary
to maintain a benign view of the World.

Ok, it may be true but I’ll bet he’s never
been wakened in the middle of one by a
mobile phone playing random tunes.

This time it was ‘All About Soul’, not too
bad a choice I might digress. Of course the
damn phone doesn’t have a sense of humour
or other excuse as a character reference –
possessed by demons as near as I’d guess.

Sure, I’ll send it back. There has to be a rational
explanation – which is kind of weird, I mean,
I’m admitting I like its quirky idiosyncrasy.

Not many people can say their phone
is possessed, or possibly blessed with
waking one gently.

© 17 January 2008, I. D. Carswell

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 am

    They are much better called power naps to help restore the brain and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can agree with that for younger, fitter candidates. But now that I'm in the sixties I'm not so sure...

    ReplyDelete