17 September 2009

Her Chosen Way

19092008112

he’s there, teeth bared
snarling as if it’s his food
while she’s crouched
protecting it

he’s fed on two
full chicken necks
she refused – always
her prerogative

only he sees a better
deal in VIP gourmet
chicken, wants an
elder brother’s share

her eyes do not appeal
for my support though
at my voice are calmed quite
visibly – we are in tune

a closeness that we share
he’ll come to understand
in knowing why she
stood her ground

she doesn’t want to eat
only wants to sleep the final
sleep this day and I will
let her go her chosen way
© 27 July 2009, I. D. Carswell

3 comments:

  1. Very well written, sad and truthful story which I understand and I can relate to, I've lost one of my pets recently. I miss him almost unbearably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicki was #2 of three pets (all Jack Russell Terriers) who deceased through old age. Normally one says goodbye to these guys when their vigor is at its peak! Fortunately all were less traumatic than that! Yes, I miss her - she was the matriarch. Thanks Nicoletta, and commiserations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ivan! nice way to keep the memory.

    bessye

    ReplyDelete