06 February 2010

Un Australian

artwork_images_113308_401906_-rankin

I dunno if I’m being ridiculous
but the term “un-Australian” is
as un-Australian as our origins allow.

Because a few poofters from Lygon
Street or the ABC might conclude
differently doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

Our diverse History says we’re
not the same; any mug can see
we’re ‘hundreds & thousands’. 

And thank whomever for that! Now
if you want to have a few beers and
a barbie this arvo then go on...

It’s summer and this is Australia –
just don’t go round calling others
un-Australian ‘cause they won’t go along
© 26 January 2010, I. D. Carswell

openphotonet_100s & 1000s3

3 comments:

  1. I've lived in Japan 16 years. I eat the food and talk the talk, but it's obvious to all around, I'm not Japanese. And this'll be true even if I one day decide to nationalize for the sake of convenience. I often tell my younger students, "I've been in Japan longer than you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:10 pm

    I was born in Australia and I've lived here the short 16 years of my life. I'm at least third-generation Australian, beyond that no one is sure. I'm vegetarian, hate BBQ's and only know a few words of 'Strine' from my grandma. But I'm still Australian, I live here and I often tell my friends that Australian's don't act a certain way or speak a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - the aim of the poem was to profess that we are allowed to be ourselves, if WE allow ourselves to be. The instant we speak for others, or suggest there is a commonality, then there's room for what I've said. And that, dear friends, is what this one was all about ...

    Ivan

    ReplyDelete