08 April 2013

Ordinary People

 

clip_image001

There has to be irony in setting a task
which daily grows beyond reasonable
expectation, but
reasonable only if
you are not a poet.

I never expected anything as consuming
and as exhausting as trying to write a
creditable poem every day.

So why even try?

I don't know how to answer. If I didn't
try somehow my self-belief would take
a savage blow. If I gave it my best shot
and failed it would still be crippling. In
other words I have set myself up for
a tumble. Perhaps that is the answer.

On the positive side I have made some
wonderful contacts since beginning this
madness. I have read and will continue
to read wonderful new poetry ranging
from the raw and painful, to the erudite
and sublime, to the sick and sinful, to
the passionate and poisonous, to the
peaceful and providential.

It is an exciting journey! The poets
are ordinary people expressing the
magnificent human emotions they
possess in all the varieties and colours
and languages one can imagine.

That is what keeps me going.
© 11 March 2013, I. D. Carswell

On looking back to 2006 &
the start of a journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment