23 August 2007

Skirting An Awkward Innuendo

Been walking around it too long, skirting
an awkward innuendo on soft soled shoes,
scared lest it awaken the same shrieking
rage that laid it to rest.

They were crazy, undisciplined days – full
of mischief and merriment. We weren’t
meant to fall in love just then you said,
timing was bent every way but free.

You made us agree to wait; had your
priorities in place, nothing would come
between you and the degree you sought –
yet you slapped my face egregiously.

In abject silence my eyes died, the smile
stayed frozen on lips dipped in ice but
the pace of my heart jumped out of
time and on into a vacuous space.

Over the corpse of our late relationship
you made it plain who failed whom. I
was to blame for not falling at first
and irrevocably in love with you.
© 16 August 2007, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment