12 November 2008

My Enemy, My Friend (rev)

my enemy my friend
My enemy my friend whom I
know without compromise,
when I listened to the
deconstructions avowed of you
as your brand of pernicious lies
I was ashamed.      


I know where you situate
in matters that joined us
in vigorous hand to hand
(and at times bloody) debate.
I know where you opposed
my belated philosophies you
would stand as firmly of the
same belief as I that they
needed to be uttered freely.

But you never said those things
you are unjustly accused of by the
makers of stochastic compromise,
you only claimed they could be
said in a free and democratic state.

And in a few hysterical moments
your worthy sentiments were crushed
by the heel of much vaunted principles
you said would take your noble life in
denying the freedom to oppose them.
© 2005, I.D. Carswell

No comments:

Post a Comment