04 November 2009

Metastasis

apollo

If I am to return to this life it
won't be as a brown snake I
killed this afternoon or mosquito
that died violently this morning 
no chance I’d make amends for
their passing by being them

I could be a straw that broke
the camel’s back; maybe I am
and regret serial incidents
still happening – hard to say
the fact is I’m on a limb and
beyond wrack or reason

Thoughts no more suicidal than
random gusts of lambent wind
shirr dreams I’d rather forget
seems I’m bound in the shame
of your leaving metastasized
by letting you go
© 25 September 2009, I. D. Carswell

2 comments:

  1. Like the juxtaposition of killing a snake & someone's leaving. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the keen observation KE! It wasn't what I really intended but it makes more of a connect - I was trying to postulate metastasis as an inimitable outcome of trauma. You insight cuts through to the quick beautifully.

    ReplyDelete